11.04.2010

Be the Bar

It is cold. Dangerously cold. So cold that I am unable to go on my frequent 3-mile walk/runs around my beautiful neighborhood. What's a girl left to do? Work out in the gym. Ugh. Don't get me wrong, I am very thankful I have a free gym to go to within walking distance of my apartment. (I drive. Just 'cause.) But it's just so BOOOORING. I don't get to enjoy nature. I get to stare at a yellow wall. However, I have been doing some intense thinking on that treadmill these days.
You see, when I get on the treadmill, I alternate between power walking at a very small incline for 5 minutes and hiking at a very steep incline for 5 minutes. It's a good workout! My thighs feel like jello within 30 minutes.
And when I really get going, I get tired. Enter BAR. No, not the bar that you go to when you want to get shwasted and forget life (and soon realize the problems are still there when you get un-shwasted)-- the bar that you grip your hands onto for dear life so you don't look a fool and fall off the treadmill.
That bar is amazing. Whenever I get worn out and need a break, or even when I'm just plain lazy, I hold onto that bar.
I want to be that bar.
I want to be a support system for my friends. For my small group girls. And one day for my husband. And (much, much) later on for my children.
That is our purpose in life-- to love others so deeply that we'd be willing to carry their burdens for them. That we'd sacrifice our wants for their needs. That we'd give it all up to God and let go so He will show us who to love and how to love them.
Be that bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment