6.29.2010

really random revelation

Let me start out by saying that I have the biggest epiphanies, revelations, and life-changing thoughts while doing the most random things. (You will probably see many more of these stories in future posts.) I'm not sure if this is a gift or a burden. I mean come on, can't grocery shopping just be grocery shopping? No. This trait of mine was in full effect this evening while blow-drying my hair. (See? Random as all get out.) So let me set up the story. This morning, I burned my pinky. Tonight, while blow-drying my hair after a shower, my finger was throbbing, so I decided to switch the dryer from my right hand to my left. You see, I am right-handed, so this proved to be a difficult task. It seemed as though my wrist wouldn't move as fast, and drying my hair would take twice as long as usual. I couldn't reach the back, and my hair was beginning to burn to a crisp.
It was then that I had one of my really random revelations. Trying to do life without God is like drying your hair with your left hand. It's slow, it's complicated, and not every part is done well. If you're lucky, you have a hair straightener next to you to pick up the slack. We so often put God in a box, keeping Him out of the parts that we think He isn't useful in and pulling Him out only when we are desperate. He should be the Creator of every magical moment, the Author of our stories, and the Counselor we seek for decisions however insignificant or insurmountable they may be. We just can't do life without God-- trust me, I've tried. It ends up being stringy and gross and complicated and painful, and then impatience arises because what we want doesn't come naturally. One of my new favorite quotes is this: "Tell God you are ready to be offered, and God will prove Himself to be all you ever dreamed He would be." If you just use your right hand instead of trying to take the shortcut to avoid painful obstacles, God will write your fairytale story to benefit you, not to harm you. Never forget that He knows every desire of our hearts and wants us to be happy and blessed. But we must abandon all, surrender all, and let it all go.
How I got all this from drying my hair, only God knows.
I leave you with this:
"Then He said to them all: 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it." --Luke 9:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment