6.15.2010

Joy

I'm sitting at my desk, feeling the urge to write, which is not often these days. Funny thing is, I have so many thoughts wandering through my head that I can't fathom putting them all into words. I am so overwhelmed by what God is doing in me and through me right now. I am in a constant state of peace that can only be explained by the joy running through my veins. Joy is an interesting concept. It comes not from money, not from a job, not from the things we have or even the people we're with. Joy, instead, comes from the realization that we have everything we could ever need at our fingertips but deserve none of it. Joy is humility, grace, and love all combined. Joy is the essence of giving. You can't give without feeling joyful, and you can't receive without feeling joyful. Joy is God's bonus prize to us. We undeservingly receive His mercy, and along with it comes the joy that we are redeemed. Joy is the source of our strength (Nehemiah 8:10). Joy is when God provides for us in those desperate moments, when we trust Him the least but He pulls through and proves us wrong. Joy is different from happiness. Happiness is temporary, stemming from the in-between moments that may or may not be significant. Joy, however, is the constant pulse that carries us through the difficult times and exudes forth when all the in-between moments are pieced together. I pray that joy will never leave, no matter how confusing and daunting and incomprehensible life can be.
"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun." --Ecclesiastes 8:15

No comments:

Post a Comment