7.24.2010

The Future

One act common among all of mankind is wondering what the future holds. We constantly are thinking, what's next? Sometimes we're content, sometimes we're terrified. I have always been one of those terrified ones. I want to make sure that I'm doing everything "the right way" and following all the rules to a T. I have had dreams and images in my mind of how things are "supposed" to work, when and how things will happen. But lately I've been realizing just how silly it is to think that way. Not because I am an uber-planner. Not because I worry about things not happening the way I want them to. It's simply because I am not God. I do not know and will never know everything that I'll go through and in what order and at what age. A song I heard on the radio today says it all for me...

"And the questions without answers / come and paralyze the dancer / So I stand here on the stage afraid to move / Afraid to fall, oh, but fall I must / On this truth that my life has been formed from the dust / God is God and I am not / I can only see a part of the picture that He's painting / God is God and I am man / So I'll never understand it all / For only God is God."

Steven Curtis Chapman's lyrics resonate through me as I sit reflecting on what is to come. And the truth is, I don't know! I don't know what I'll be going through 3 months from now, 1 year from now, 10 years from now. All I know is that God has called me to be the best me I can be-- in this moment. As long as I'm positioning Him in the center of my life, He is preparing me for my hard decisions, those difficult transitions, and the blissful reality of who He's made me to be. He has given me everything I need to fulfill the calling He's placed on my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment