12.19.2010

Pure.

I've been contemplating writing this specific post for a long time. It's taken courage... lots of courage... to get to this point of stepping up and stepping out. I'm ready to take a risk-- because I know you need it. This message is not from any book, any song, or even any sermon I've heard. It's straight from the heart. From the Spirit, rather. This is for the girl who gave up everything but didn't get the love she expected. This is for the guy who wanted so badly to do the right thing but fell all too easily into a trap of sin.

Several weeks ago, I was reading through Hosea when a certain verse caught my eye:

"Then I told her, 'You are to live with me many days; you must not be a prostitute or be intimate with any man, and I will live with you.'" --Hosea 3:3

Now you may be thinking, What the heck? What is this looney tune talking about? Well if you know me well, you know I'm a footnotes reader. Hardcore. I absolutely love the clarifications, the translations, and yes, even the notes that say "meaning is uncertain." There just happened to be a tiny 'k' next to the phrase "live with," so I jumped my eyes straight to the bottom of the page. And do you know what the translation of "live with" is? Wait for. So the new verse becomes:

"Then I told her, 'You are to wait for me many days... and I will wait for you.'"

This verse is speaking about the broad topic of purity. As soon as I read it, I felt God speaking to me, telling me how important it is to stay pure. Not just for God, and not just for myself-- but for my husband. I must be pure in mind, body, and Spirit.

I wanted to write about this because I don't feel like purity is talked about enough. It's a taboo subject. No one wants to talk about their mistakes, their shortcomings, and where they went wrong. But you need to know this one thing: Wait for him. Wait for her. Pray as you wait faithfully for your other half. Even if you have your other half, engaged even, continue to wait. Until you are married, you do not belong to each other. It's easier said than done, I know. But with each temptation you resist, you'll be stronger when the next one comes around. And they will come around. Don't think because you pray every day and read Scriptures that the enemy won't throw temptation in your face. If anything, it will get worse the closer you get to God!

No matter what choices you made as a teenager, a year ago, or even last night, your purity starts now. Got that? It starts RIGHT NOW. Jesus came so that we would be new creations in every aspect of our lives, including our purity. All you need to do is ask Him for forgiveness and allow Him to help you make better decisions. He will be the strength in your weakness, but only if you LET Him.

I have this verse as a post-it note on my wall, reminding me every day to stay pure for my husband. He deserves it. God deserves it. Today is a fresh start for you too. Just keep reminding yourself of the great rewards of waiting for your beautiful bride or your handsome groom! Be encouraged by this truth:

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." --Romans 8:18

God's rewards are being stored for us with each temptation we resist. Do not sacrifice the eternal blessings of tomorrow for the temporary pleasures of today!

No comments:

Post a Comment